Thursday, 19 October 2017

Day of the Dead by Hannah Oxberry

Hi all, Hannah here today with a Halloween inspired project!


This "Day of the Dead" panel gives a bit of a different take on the traditional Halloween style.

Using a 8x8" panel, and Andy Skinners Day of the Dead stencil, I have drawn modelling paste through the stencil to create a raised image on the background.
Once the modelling paste is completely dry I painted the panel in a layer of white gesso.
I have introduced a wash of Prussian Blue Hue along with a wash of Paynes Grey, letting the washes pool around the raised areas as well as building intensity towards the edges of the panel.

Laying the stencil back over the skull image, I painted over the raised areas with white gesso and then a range of bright colours. To knock the colours back, I dry brushed the panel which also highlights the texture.


To add character to the piece, I created a crown of paper flowers painted in some of the same colours as the skull.


I also added a graduated pearl necklace as another little detail!

I hope you hav enjoyed this project, until next time - happy crafting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments mean a lot to me and my team - thank you x