Saturday, 1 October 2016

Steampunk Bird Step Out


Each month in Mixed Up we have a feature called Creative Play. In this feature four designers work with the same products or substrates to create pieces of art in their own unique style. 

I decided to play along for the first one and we worked with gorgeous acrylic and MDF Stacks from That's Crafty! - above is s sneak peek of my make. I promised you some more detail on how I put my piece together, and so here it is.

MDF panel: After undercoating with gesso I painted the MDF panel with DecoArt Media Metallic Silver paint (one coat - this stuff is amazing!). I then stencilled cogs with silver embossing paste (stencil and paste both Dreamweaver).

2mm acrylic panel: On the next layer I repeatedly stamped the Andy Skinner blueprint stamp from the Industrial set (Stampendous) with Teal StazOn. I added a little more stamping than shown here in the end because it didn't show up well enough. However it's best not to overwork the layers as you want them to be a cohesive unit and not compete with each other. StazOn is really the only ink to use with acrylic as it dries pretty fast on the shiny surface.

2mm acrylic panel: So before I did this panel I actually stamped the bird onto acetate so I could work out where it would be on the top layer. I used this as a guide to position the clock (Andy Skinner) and key (Stampendous) where they would line up behind the bird image to add detail to it. I worked over the back with silver Sakura Calligrapher pen - these work amazingly on the acrylic (Krylon would work too). I stamped in StazOn once again.

4mm acrylic layer: My top and final layer. I stamped the bird with black StazOn then flipped it over and added more Sakura pen, this time in gold and silver. I used PaperArtsy Fresco Finish Bora Bora and a green paint I mixed up from several colours to shade the bird.

Here's what it looked like when I flipped it over before adding the other layers behind.

To finish I added lots of cool metal cogs and parts from old watches to give yet another layer.

On the finished piece you can see the clock and key enhancing the bird collage, the subtle but important pop of the blueprint stamping and a hint of the silver cogs behind (these are more visible when the stack is seen at an angle because they are 3D being made with embossing paste) - but you'll have to buy the mag for that - sorry!

I hope this gave you a bit more insight into how I created my piece and how the Stacks layer up. If you'd like to get your hands on your own then hop on over to That's Crafty! for a little bit of retail therapy.

Katy x

1 comment:

  1. absolutely love this ! love the techniques and the colour palette ! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean a lot to me and my team - thank you x